Tax filing checklist

The basics:

W-2 forms

1099-MISC forms for independent contractor income

1099-G forms for unemployment income, and/or state or local tax refunds

1099-INT, 1099-DIV for interest and dividend income

1099-B for capital gain/loss

Most CPAs will ask for a copy of last year’s tax return

Record of estimated tax payments (if applicable)


SSA-1099: Social Security benefits received

1099-R, Form 8606 for payments/distributions from IRAs or retirement plans

Business, Property & Miscellaneous:

1099-S forms for income from sale of a property

Alimony is reportable on your state tax return

Business or farming income: profit/loss statement and capital equipment information

Rental property: profit/loss statement and suspended loss information

Forms 6252: installment sale income

Out of state income:

Income earned outside of primary state of residence

Taxes paid outside of primary state and/or country of residence

Potential Deductions & Credits:

Medical costs (in excess of 7.5% of adjusted gross income)

Charitable donations

Property Taxes and Mortgage Interest

Child tax credit

Retirement Savings Contributions (401k, IRA, SEP etc)
- Form 5498 (IRA valuation and contributions)

1098-T & 1098-E: educational expenses

Disclaimer: Educational in nature and not tax advice. Please talk to your tax advisor about your specific situation.